Player of the Week: Xavier Scruggs - 7/23, 3 HR, 10 RBI, 6 R
Pitcher of the Week: Jonathan Cornelius 14 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K
Memphis Redbirds (AAA)
Memphis ended the week with a 3-3 record. The big news is that top prospects Oscar Taveras and Kolten Wong have been limited due to ankle injuries. Taveras did not record an at-bat and Wong only reached the plate 11 times in the week. The Redbirds will be down another starter as Tyler Lyons is expected to be promoted to St. Louis on Wednesday. It will be interesting to see who gets sent down. My guess is Carlos Martinez. Ryan Jackson started the weak hot and ended cold. Jackson is 0-for-8 in his last 2 games
- 5/18 - Mitchell Boggs recalled by the St. Louis Cardinals
- 5/19 - Rob Johnson activated from the 7-day DL
Springfield Cardinals (AA)
The Springfield Cardinals ended the week with a 4-3 record. The Cardinals have been getting quality games from their 1-2 hitters in the lineup. Mike O'Neill and James Ramsey have on base percentages over .450. Xavier Scruggs, our player of the week, continues to rake at Double-A. I believe the only thing keeping him at this level is his plate discipline, which is getting better. While Scruggs' strikeout numbers are about the same, his on base percentage is a lot higher. A promotion could be coming.
- 5/13 - Tommy Pham placed on the 7-day DL
- 5/13 - Tim Cooney transferred from Palm Beach
- 5/13 - Boone Whiting transferred to Memphis
- 5/14 - Tyler Rahmatulla transferred from Palm Beach
Palm Beach Cardinals (A+)
The Palm Beach Cardinals ended the week with a 2-5 record. The Beach Birds have really been struggling since Ramsey was promoted to Springfield. The offense has been Jekyll and Hyde lately with more poor perfromances than stronger ones. A bright spot has been the pitching of Jonathan Cornelius, our pitcher of the week. Cornelius made two starts this week and only allowed 3 hits in 14 innings. Their struggles are to be expected with so many players getting promoted or on the disabled list.
- 5/13 - Tim Cooney transferred to Springfield
- 5/14 - Danny Miranda activated from the DL
- 5/14 - Tyler Rahmatulla transferred to Springfield
- 5/14 - Cesar Valera transferred from Extended Spring
- 5/17 - Tyler Melling activated from the DL
- 5/17 - Dean Kiekhefer placed on the 7-day DL
Peoria Chiefs (A-)
The Peoria Chiefs ended the week with a 3-5 record. Last week we told you that catcher Gerwuins Velazco was in an iuncredible slump, going 0-for-25. This week, Velazco only recorded 4 at-bats, remaining hit-less. Casey Ramsus was the benefactor to Velazco's slump. Rasmus recorded 19 at-bats this past week and had 4 hits. I am wondering how Steve Bean or Adam Ehrlich are doing at Extended Spring training. Maybe they could provide some offense from the catching spot.